Are you thinking of making your own DIY custom / funny doormat but don’t own a Cricut? I’ll show you how- it’s easy as pumpkin pie!
Want to learn how to customize or personalize a doormat in 10 minutes for around $15?
Check out the step by step tutorial below and learn how make your own custom doormat -using a cheap IKEA mat, some paint and (reusable)stencils. No Cricut’s required (most custom doormat tutorials require you have one).
And…to get your creative juices flowing, I’ll give you a list of some funny doormat sayings (at the end of this post).
Since I’m a bit fall/autumn-happy, I ended up choosing a cute fall / pumpkin inspired theme for our doormat, with the words “Hi Pumpkin” lettered on it.
I love how it turned out- especially considering I didn’t use a Cricut to make the stencil.
Using cheap (and reusable) cardboard lettered stencils worked out great!
I was a bit worried about the paint bleeding around the border of the letter since the cardboard stencil didn’t have an adhesive.
But I’m happy to report I didn’t get any, and I think it’s because I used a stippler sponge (it disperses the paint more subtly). Following it up with a fine detailing brush afterwards, made the design really pop.
Overall- it was a super easy and cheap DIY.
I hope you enjoy making your own!
- Ikea Doormat (Trampa)
- Black Acrylic Paint
- Dabber sponge brush
- Take your stencils and place them on your doormat in the location you would like them in (I.e. make sure the word is centered, letters are aligned up, etc..). If you need multiple letters, but only have 1 stencil/letter, just use any other stencil in its place, this step is just for placement. You can swap it out when it comes time to paint
- Take your dabber and dip it into some black paint and dab it onto the stencil. Do this for all your letter stencils.
- Once the stencils are removed, you can darken up the letters by using a paint brushed dipped in some black paint - if you want.
- Let the paint dry and you are done! (I didn't coat it with any sealer and it hasn't worn off yet!)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here’s some additional pictures of the
Hi Pumpkin doormat, all dressed up for Fall!
I added a piece of rustic/farmhouse inspired checkered material (that i got for $5 from our local fabric store), for a layered doormat look.
We also had fun with the kids picking some multicoloured and (naturally) patterned pumpkins! We never had these kinda pumpkins when we were kids- the things they have now a days – I tell ya!
13 Funny Doormat Sayings / Quotes
As promised here’s a list of funny doormat sayings and quotes/ ideas.
- Hi/Bye (written on top of each other and reversed)
- The Neighbors Have Better Stuff
- Shut The Front Door
- Bring Pizza & Peonies
- Back That Grass Up
- Got Dirt?
- Hi, I’m Mat
- Definitely Not A Trap Door
- Yay, It’s You!
- I hope you like dogs!
- Probably at Target
- Come back with a warrant
Hope you enjoyed learning how to make your own custom / personalized doormat- and for cheap!
If you like this post, please pin it!