This DIY seashell art piece is a beautiful addition to any home beach decor. Use seashells collected from the beach or bought from the store and you’ll be feeling beachy in no time!
Make this seashell art in under an hour with seashells you’ve collected from the beach or bought from the store. It’s a cheap and creative way to add some beach inspired decor into your home.
Beach home decor is really popular these days -who wouldn’t want to be surrounded by the relaxing and happy feeling of the beach all year long?
If you want to add beach inspired home decor to your home but I don’t want to pay a fortune for them, then easy DIY projects are going to be your friend.
And this DIY seashell art is easy peasy.
For more easy beach inspired crafts, check these out: diy seaglass art here and diy seashell candles here. Or if you’re looking for more easy-peasy crafts to keep you busy, check out this 71+ Craft for Adults post.
I created this seashell art with an inexpensive shadow box frame, some simple crafting glue and some seashells my family and I collected from the beach last summer.
This craft took less than an hour and was easy to make. It’s like coloring in a shape with seashells!
I made a heart shape with this piece, but the shape options are limitless.
I think it would look great with letter shapes too, like the initial letter or monogram for your family name, or even a number that holds special meaning.
If you’re using seashells collected from the beach, make sure you clean them for crafting.
Check out my blog post on how to clean seashells for a couple of easy methods. Cleaning them is important so you remove gunk and smells often left behind.
If you bought your seashells from the store or online, no need to clean them as they come pre-cleaned.
Once you have some squeaky clean shells, you are ready to get nifty! Here’s the tutorial…
How to make Seashell Art -Heart shaped
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclaimer
- Seashells from the beach or buy online
- Shadow box frame
- crafting glue
- white cardstock paper (or plain white paper)
- Cut the cardstock or paper to the size of the backing of your frame and glue it to the backing.
- Using a pencil, trace a heart shape (or any other shape) onto the cardstock/paper
- Using your larger seashells first, glue them in any place inside the heart shape. Make sure to even distribute the larger pieces within your shape
- Once the larger seashells are done, you can start gluing on the medium size ones. This ensures that the big and medium size seashells are evenly distributed within your shape, as they will be more eyecatching than the smaller ones. The smaller ones are for filling in the gaps and for creating clean edges along the border of the heart shape.
- Using the smallest shells, glue them to fill in the gaps between the rest of the shells and also the border of the shape.
- Optional: you can use decorative pearls to add some extra texture and shine to your artwork
And voila, your beautiful beach inspired seashell art is ready to be displayed! Enjoy and hope to SEA ya soon!
I ended up making 2 versions of this diy seashell art, here are some final pictures of both…