Get ready to embark on an epic drawing adventure as we learn how to draw a horse head in a front view! This step-by-step guide will show you how to capture the proper proportions and placement of the eyes, ears, mane, muzzle, nose, and even the top part of the horse’s body. It’s like having your very own horse art tutorial at your fingertips!
But wait, it gets even better!
At the bottom of the post, you’ll find a free printable stencil that you can download. Talk about handy! With this stencil (or can be used as a coloring page), you can use it as a guide to create amazing artwork in a variety of projects. Whether you want to paint it, color it in with crayons, or even incorporate it into an art journal page, the possibilities are endless.
The best part?
All you need is a simple pencil, paper, and a trusty ruler to get started.
This horse head drawing is easy-peasy and suitable for both kids and adults alike. And hey, if you’re up for an extra challenge, check out our accompanying horse painting tutorial where you can learn to bring this horse drawing to life with basic acrylic paints.
Let’s get our creative juices flowing and make some magnificent art together!
How To Draw a Horse Head Step By Step Guide
Below you’ll find the quick reference guide to draw your horses head. Use a pencil and ruler to draw the initial reference cross, then erase it when you’re done you’re drawing. If you’ll be drawing it on a standard 8.5″ x 11″ paper then the cross would be 7.5″ x 3.5″.
- Draw a cross that measures 7.5" x 3.5" using a pencil and a ruler. This is the reference guide that will help keep the horses head symmetrical and in proper proportions. It will be erased in a later step so try to keep the pencil lines soft.
- Sketch a oval shape from the horizontal line up until about an inch from the top of the vertical line of the cross. This will be the horses forehead.
- Draw a cup shape from the horizontal line to about 3 inch from the bottom of the vertical line of your cross. This will be the top part of the horses face.
- Trace a rectangle with rounded corners below the cup shape. Leave an inch at the bottom for the horses mouth.This will be the horses nose
- Draw the top portion of the horses mouth.
- Sketch the bottom portion of the horses mouth.
- Trace the ears of the horse so that the top of the ears are about an inch above the vertical line.
- Draw the rounded curve of the top of the horses head. It goes along the top of the vertical line.
- Sketch in the horses eyes which are on the side of the horses head. Use the horizontal line to plot the middle of each eye which will keep things aligned and symmetrical . Also draw the top eyelid after the eye is drawn.
- Draw 2 small vertical lines joining the top part of the horses face to the nose.
- Sketch the horses nostrils. They'll resemble ovals.
- Draw the horse mane. The mane is sweeping to the left so keep that in mind when draw the outline of large strands of hair. Some are curved upward at the top of the mane, while others are curved downward at the bottom of the mane.
- Sketch the neck and top part of the horses body. Start at about the halfway point on the horses head. Try to keep the lowest part of the horses body centred (using the vertical line as a reference point of the horses centre).
- Erase the reference crosee you made in the first step. Now you can color in with pencil crayons, markers or leave as is.
Horse Drawing Printable Stencil
Right click on the image below and save to your device. The horse drawing stencil is formatted to fit on standard 8.5″x 11″ printer paper. Use the stencil to transfer the horse head to canvas for painting, use it as a coloring page, or put your own spin on it!