Learn how to make this EASY S’mores camping cake in 1 hour – no cake decorating experience necessary- and tons of creative FUN!
Want some happy campers? Make them this super easy S’mores camping cake-and I’m sure they’re faces will light up with joy!
This camping inspired cake would work perfectly for a camping birthday party, boy scouts/ girl scouts cakes/celebrations. or anyone that loves camping and the great outdoors!
We made this cake for my daughter’s 8th birthday party- she just loves nature and (and camping), although she (and her mama ) still have to come to terms with creepy crawly bugs!
I was already in “cake” baking mode, since the week before was my son’s birthday and I made him this Monster Truck cake– also a super easy cake to put together.
I liked using the crumbled Oreo “mud”/ “ground” look from the Monster Truck cake, so we used that as one of our camping cake ideas- since campgrounds are rather muddy.
For the other camping cake topper ideas, we brainstormed some more and hit up Pinterest…
Making Edible Trees
The one challenge we had: how to make edible tree toppers! I found some people had used Pretzel rods and drizzled melted green chocolate over them to make trees.
Except, we couldn’t find any pretzel rods in stores- and we tried 3 different local stores and none carried them. We live in Canada, so maybe its not a Canadian thing?!
BUT we refused to give up.
We are determined girls, and will go to great lengths in the name of creativity! So we hit up the cookie aisle next…
As we roamed down the aisle of sugary goodness, my daughter spotted these Pirouline rolled wafer cookies, and imagined they would make perfect tree trucks.
They were perfect indeed!
And let me tell you, trees never tasted so good..
They would even make really cute cupcake toppers for a Christmas themed cupcakes. Add in some colorful sprinkles while the green chocolate hardens and you’ve got yourself a Christmas tree!
Before I go too far off tangent, here’s the tutorial on how to make this Smore’s Camping birthday cake. It’s filled with nifty camping cake decorations, that are cheap and easy to make!
How to make a S'mores Camping Cake
Make this super easy S'mores camping cake perfect for a summer camping themed birthday party, boy scouts cake ideas/ girl scouts cake ideas, or any outdoor camping enthusiast!
- Boxed cake mix, chocolate (Betty Crocker, Dunkin Hines)
- Chocolate Icing
- Green Chocolate Melts
- Pirouline Artisan Rolled Wafers
- 1 box Oreo cookies
- 2 graham crackers
- mini marshmallow
- Candy chocolate rocks
- pretzel sticks
- 2 Reese's mini peanut butter cups
- 2 round 8" or 9" cake pans
- Parchment paper/waxed paper
- Orange and Yellow candles
1. Mix the boxed cake mix according to instructions on the box. Divide the batter into 2 8" or 9" round cake pans. Bake according to instructions
2.Once cakes are cooled, stack them on top of each other on a cake stand or cake plate.
3. Ice the stacked cakes using the chocolate icing. Then sprinkle the top of the cake with crushed up Oreo cookie pieces.
4. To make the green chocolate tree toppers, melt your green chocolate melts in a double boiler, or take a heat safe bowl and place it overtop a pot of boiling water. Stir frequently until the chocolate is melted. Do NOT overheat or leave on too long, otherwise the chocolate will change texture and be harder to work with.
5. Place 2 Pirouline cookie rolls on a piece of wax paper (or parchment paper). I made the mistake of NOT using parchment or wax paper and my trees were VERY hard to remove from the plate.
Take your melted chocolate and put it into a ziploc bag, then cut a tiny piece off the bag in one corner. This will be your DIY piping bag.
Squeezing the chocolate out gently, make zigzag movements into the shape of a tree top.
Once your happy with your trees. put them in the freezer to set for 10 minutes.
6. While your trees set, you can make the campire cake topper. Take some chocolate candy rocks and some pretzel sticks (cut the in half if you need too) and make a fire pit. Finally add your candles to the middle.
7. Use 2 graham crackers and lean them against each other in a tent shape. You can use some chocolate icing at the top to stick them together. I didn't - they stayed together nicely without icing.
8. Once your trees are set, take them out of the freezer and stick the cookie ends ( "tree trucks") into the cake
9. Add some more camping cake decorations using the s'mores marshmellow and toothpick (roasting marshmallow stick), and the peanut butter cups as stools/stumps. And your done!
To get even more easy DIY camping cake ideas, checkout Pinterest!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Duncan Hines Classic Devil's Food Cake Mix (2 Pack)
Wilton Aluminum 8-Inch Round Cake Pan Set, Set of 2
Pirouline Artisan Rolled Wafers - Dark Chocolate - 14 oz
Wilton Dark Green Candy Melts, 12-Ounce(2pk)
Nabisco Honey Maid Graham Crackers, Honey 4-14.4oz
Wilton Birthday Candles, 2.5-Inch, Hot Colors, 24-Pack
Nabisco Club Pack Sandwich Cookies, Nabisco Oreo Chocolate, 52.5 Ounce
Chocolate Rocks - Mixed River Stones 1LB Bag
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 385mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 3g
Here are some extra pictures of the finished camping cake:
I hoped you enjoyed the camping cake tutorial, along with the camping themed cake decorations and ideas!
Friday 22nd of April 2022
I haven’t seen green chocolate in my country. Could you add green colouring to white chocolate?
Friday 22nd of April 2022
You can add green food coloring to white chocolate. I have never personally done it, but here are some instructions on how to do it. From what I was reading you have to be careful about the temperature of the coloring so the chocolate doesn't seize, I.e. get crumbly and prevent it from hardening properly. Hope this helps and good luck!
How to Make a Monster Truck Cake -The easiest cake you'll ever make!
Monday 2nd of September 2019
[…] easy s’mores camping cake […]