Find out how to hack the Ikea Rast into a nightstand, perfect for farmhouse inspired decor.
The Ikea Rast is like the little-engine-that-could in the Ikea furniture line up. At first glance it looks a bit underwhelming, simple and small. It might be small for a dresser, but it’s BIG on creative possibilities- like the nightstand hack I will show you in the tutorial down below.
The Ikea Rast comes unfinished, so you might have even missed it in the Ikea Showroom altogether.
Which makes me even more excited to show what this wonderful little piece of furniture can do!
The Ikea Rast’s seemingly small size and unfinished look, are actually it’s greatest features- in my opinion.
Not only can it be used as a small dresser for small spaces, but it can be transformed into other things too:
- a nightstand (the most popular Ikea Rast hack)
- couch end tables
- coffee station
- bar cart
- desk (with a tabletop)
- a mobile craft cart
- compact entryway tables
- kids dresser
- and many more…..
The benefit of the Rast coming unfinished is that you can EASILY paint it, stain it, stencil it, or Overlay it- right out of the box (no sanding, prep work required).
I decided on the wood stain/Overlays route (read more about Overlays further down) and it came out better than I could have expected.
What are Overlays?
These lightweight and pretty panels, add decorative flair to Ikea furniture.
Overlay’s transforms your furniture into custom, unique and designer looking pieces- without paying designer prices.
Many of my readers know that I am always hunting & searching for the newest and nifty-ist ways to hack Ikea furniture.
AND I can tell you that Overlays is a product you want to look into, if you want to add some drama to your standard Ikea furniture.
I reached out to the fantastic people at Overlays and they graciously let me pick from their wide selection of patterns.
They have so many beautiful patterns and designs, it was honestly hard to pick just one.
I ended up picking the the Xandra kit (which is one of their most popular kits for the Ikea Rast) because it reminded me of rustic barn doors.
I’ve been slowly trying to add more farmhouse decor into our living space, it was the perfect choice!
In the tutorial below, I’ll show you the steps I took to apply the Overlays to my stained Ikea Rast.
It was surprisingly EASY and FAST!
AND it gets better…if you decide to buy any Overlay kit after reading this post, Overlays will give you a 10% discount by entering “feelingnifty” (Overlays Coupon Code) at checkout.
Ikea Rast Dresser Hack Tutorial
- Ikea Rast dresser
- Varathane wood stain in Weathered Grey
- No More Nails Glue
- Overlays kit for Ikea Rast - in Xandra pattern
- Decorative knobs (similar to these)
- paint brush
- Build your Ikea Rast as per Ikea Instructions. Nifty Tip: Look in the Ikea "As is" section for the Ikea Rast. Often they are cheaper/marked down and come pre-assembled so you don't have to build it.
- Stain/paint your Ikea Rast Dresser.Nifty Tip: Staining your Ikea Rast will preserve the look of the wood grain (which will show through the stain). Painting over the Ikea Rast will hide all of the wood grain. Pick according to the the final look of the dresser your looking for.
- Wait for your paint/stain to dry (look on the instructions of your stain for a list of drying times). Once fully dried you can Apply the Overlays. To apply the Overlays, use some Wood glue like No more Nails and apply it to the bottom side of the Overlay panel.
- Take your Overlay Panel with glue on it, and stick it right to the drawer of the Rast.
- Repeat step 4 for the remainder of the Rast drawers
- Use some decorative knobs for the drawer pulls. (Alternatively you can use the knobs that come with the Ikea Rast dresser
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
O'verlays Xandra Kit for Ikea Rast 3 Drawer Chest
Varathane 269394 Premium Fast Dry Wood Stain, 32 oz, Weathered Gray
UNIBOND Unibond No More Nails High Strength Grab Adhesive / Strong Bond Universal Adhesive For Lasting Results / 1X 200Ml Tube
Drawer Knob Pull Handle Crystal Glass Diamond Shape Cabinet Drawer Pulls Cupboard Knobs with Screws for Home Office Cabinet Cupboard Bonus Silver Screws DIY (10 Pieces)
I’m including some more AFTER pictures of the Ikea Rast Dresser Hack as a nightstand. Enjoy!
Oh yes, if you like the “Namast’ay in Bed” print, checkout my DIY Upholstered Headboard for $10, post, I’ve included it as a FREE printable at the end of that post.
Printable art is simple way to add some free decor to your bedroom.
Hope you enjoyed this Ikea Rast nightstand hack using the popular Overlays product.
This little, but oh-so-functional dresser can be used in many areas if the home. The Ikea Rask for the win!
Before you go, if you liked the headboard in the pictures above, check out my tutorial on how I created a DIY upholstered headboard for $10-using cardboard (no jokes)! I’m super excited to show you- so check it out!